Hi Achim,

I'll only answer one of your questions, as I don't know much about all the scripting languages and possibilities for those.

On Dec 31, 2008, at 09:22, Achim Domma wrote:

I develop software for a living and want to get started with cocoa development just for fun. I'm good at python, C, C++ and C# and have some Ruby knowledge. Now I'm asking myself, which language I should use to get started with cocoa development:

- ObjC looks interesing, but would be a new language to learn. I like to learn new languages, but I also prefer to do one step after another. So learning Cocoa and Obj-C toghether could be frustrating.

ObjC is based upon C, it's basically C with a tiny add-on.
I'd claim that you want to use ObjC, because it takes you 10 minutes to learn, since you know C already!

What you do, is you go and take the ObjC CurrencyConverter tutorial, and then you're all set.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjCTutorial/01Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

(In other words: Learn Cocoa/ObjC in 10 minutes, that's how long it took me the first time)

In short, the only thing that differs 'much' from other languages, is how you invoke methods...

C++:
result = myObject->drawLine(x,y,x+10,y+10);

ObjC:
result = [myObject drawLineFromX:x y:x toX:x+10 toY:y+10];

That's all. There are a few other differences, but you'll learn those on the fly.

I'd like to quote someone from this list (sorry, I forgot who wrote it):
"If it's difficult to do in Cocoa, you're doing it the wrong way".

When you're done with the Currency Converter tutorial, go and have a look at the sample-code:

http://developer.apple.com/samplecode

If you don't have XCode yet, you can download the latest one from connect.apple.com (it's on your Mac OS X installation DVD)

Love,
Jens