At 15:09 +0000 08/01/09, James Montgomerie wrote:
>On 8 Jan 2009, at 14:14, Rainer Brockerhoff wrote:
>>Today, the only solution seems to be to install a Carbon Event handler for
>>the {kEventClassApplication, kEventAppFrontSwitched} event.
>
>If you don't mind asking your users to switch on accessibility access ("enable
>access for assistive devices" in the Universal Access preferences), you can
>use the Accessibility APIs to monitor app switching (this is what's used in
>the iChatStatusFromApplication sample code, for example -
>http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/iChatStatusFromApplication/).

I'm using accessibility for other purposes too, so that's the first thing I
tried.

The restriction on that is that you have to register for each application you
need to watch, it's not a general notification. It also means you have to use
other notifications to watch for applications to start up and quit, keep a list
of running applications, etc. Lots of overhead and opportunities to go wrong.

For completeness, I'd like to mention that you don't need to ask the user to
switch on accessibility if you use the APIs from a background process that's
been authorized via AXMakeProcessTrusted().

>I say this informationally - I don't think it's a great solution either.

Exactly.
--
Rainer Brockerhoff  <rai...@brockerhoff.net>
Belo Horizonte, Brazil