Just wanted to update for anyone who might be interested -- OpenGL turned
out to be perfect for this. After only the first three chapters of the
OpenGL SuperBible (and a little help from the Hillegass OpenGL chapter),
I've got a visualization up and running with great performance. Now I need
to keep reading so I can make it look halfway decent :)

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.

Cheers,
Adam