On Jan 10, 2009, at 10:06, Russell Martin wrote:

So, are you saying that changeKeyPath isn't an override or a delegate method? If so, then why don't I have to put a stub in the .h file? I thought that unless I was implementing an override or delegate method that the stub in the .h was required. Is my thinking wrong on this? And, if so, when is the stub in the .h file required and not required?

I think maybe you have two different things tangled up.

1. Your 'changeKeyPath' method isn't part of the Cocoa frameworks. That's why looking for it in the Cocoa documentation produces no results. It's something that Hillegass designed and wrote, so presumably its source code is given to you to use or copy.

2. Methods are just like everything else in C -- they must be *either* declared *or* defined before they can be referenced (or both). Declarations (what you're calling "stubs") are typically placed in .h files, but not always. (Sometimes they're earlier in the .m file where they're used.)

If your file compiles without errors, then if you right-click 'changeKeyPath' and choose "Jump to Definition", you should get a popup menu with at least two entries. One will take you to the place where the method is declared (in some .h file, probably) and the other will take you to the place where the method is defined (in some .m file).

If you're getting a compile error for 'changeKeyPath', then presumably you missed a step somewhere in Hillegass's instructions for setting up your project (e.g. you missed a #import at the top of the .m file).