It's important to note that the reason for this peculiarity is that in computer science we use powers of 2 extensively. As an electrical engineer, I find the use of kilo, mega, giga, etc. prefixes irritating as these are defined by the SI system to be 10^3, 10^6 and 10^9, respectively. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix.

It is highly unfortunate that consumers are subjected to this confusion and that we are accustomed to our "500GB" drives only holding around 460GB in "real" terms.

While "kibibyte" and "gibibyte" will never catch on, we need to realise that although the terminology is somewhat nonsensical, the quantity they represent is the power of 2 value reported by our operating systems: the "real" value.

All of this aside, anyone who is sufficiently computer literate or has experience programming (read: anyone on this list) should be able to understand gigabyte in all contexts and be able to recognise the different values it can hold in each of those contexts.

Kind regards,
Jamie Toolin.

PS: Sorry Scott for the slightly off-topic nature of this post.