On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Donnie Lee <lpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I again forgot that "reply" button reply to sender not to the list,
> crazy lists.apple.com! Here is my answer to Ricky:
>
> "The button should be disabled by design. It don't intend to interact
> with a user at all."

  This is exactly the point Ricky was making. If a button never works
*by design*, a button is the wrong choice for a UI element ... unless,
of course, you're creating some sort of "UI mockup generator" app or
something similar that merely draws representations of OS X UI
elements. Then again, it wouldn't matter whether the button does
anything or not since it'd not be clickable anyway.

  To answer your question, though, you'd need to override the button's
drawing to always draw the enabled state, ignoring the control's
actual state. Or, you could let the button allow clicking and simply
do nothing. Then it wouldn't appear "as broken" as if it appeared
enabled and didn't even accept a click.

  The thing to consider is that a user encountering such a control
will assume your application is buggy because it doesn't behave
properly. If you explain what your *goal* is (as you've been asked to
twice already), maybe the community can suggest a much better approach
you hadn't considered.

--
I.S.