On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Donnie Lee <lpr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using gradient buttons is much easier because the controls is already
> there, so I don't need to create controls by myself or use 3rd party
> code.
> Yes, but, as I said before, the controls is already there and I
> planned to use them to make the app simpler, but now I see there is
> hidden problems.

  Let me be frank: Your apps will always suck if you don't get over
this irrational fear.

  Rarely will you ever create more than the most basic application
that doesn't require some custom UI (be they controls, data views, or
merely "decorative elements" as you're creating). While your argument
doesn't completely classify as "straw man", is absurd. For every
hidden problem you discover when using a UI element for something
completely outside its intended purpose, there are many more you don't
see.

  Again, speaking frankly, it makes your app look and behave like
s**t. It makes any but the most clueless user drag it straight to the
trash and avoid ever using your software again. GUARANTEED.

  Further, purposefully writing code to break a control is infinitely
dirtier than writing a focused, custom control any day. Skanky, even.
Dirty, whore-like skanky. Sores-in-unspeakable-places skanky. It makes
your app a buggy, misbehaving misfit that is highly likely to break in
future versions of the OS ... break in ways you may not even have
imagined.

  For my final point: What do you think you're doing by writing the
event-handling glue code that makes your app to begin with? How is a
purpose-built control any dirtier than your purpose-built glue code?
What about all of Apple's own software that has custom controls and
views specific to the applications and not available as a system-wide
UI element? Are they 'dirty' too?

  My god, has the *whole world* succumbed to the seedy underworld of
dirty, dirty application-specific code?! UNCLEAN!!!!
UNCLEAN!!!!

  Seriously, get over it.

--
I.S.