On 24 Jan 2009, at 18:09, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

Or, more specifically, why do you want to make some bit of framework code which currently allocates an instance of A allocate an instance of SubA instead?

Because of, what I assume to be, a bug in PDFClerkThumbnailView which when one drags multiple pages from or within it, puts the pages in a PDFDocument instead of in the subclass of PDFDocument, which is where the pages live. Dragging a single page works as expected and the page is of the correct subclass. Dragging multiple pages leads to errors. I filed a bug report for this a while back, but I really need a safe workaround until the issue is fixed. (Assuming Apple considers it a bug too. I have never received feedback on it.)

This is an excellent demonstration of why category based overrides are rife with danger. The above code is making a boatload of assumptions.

I know. That's why I wrote that I understand it is not the way to go, but yet that it _appears_ to work.

I would use method_exchangeImplementations(), if absolutely positively necessary. It is about the most innocuous of an otherwise noxious encapsulation breaking implementation pattern.

Thanks. I found that a few hours ago and was able to create the exchange. However, writing a correct replacement method is another thing altogether. The following doesn't work:

Early in application startup:
Method originalMethod = class_getClassMethod([PDFDocument class], @selector(alloc)); Method replacedMethod = class_getClassMethod([PDFDocument class], @selector(allocReplacement));
        method_exchangeImplementations(originalMethod, replacedMethod);

Addition to PDFDocument:
+ (id)allocReplacement
{
        if ([[self class] isEqual:[PDFDocument class]]) {
                        return [ANPDFDocument alloc];
                } else {
                        return [super alloc];

I get the impression it replaces alloc for everything, not just for the PDFClerkDocument class. So the app crashes immediately after the implementation exchange. Which doesn't surprise me really. But: Is there a way to make this work using method_exchangeImplementations, or maybe for the particular problem at hand, is there a better way of making the PDFThumbnailView use the correct PDFDocument (sub)class when it deals with multiple selections.

Just to make this clear: I would really rather not create this workaround, but I can't really afford not to let users drag multiple pages in the PDFClerkThumbnailView either.

-António

There is nothing as strong as real gentleness, and
there is nothing as gentle as real strength.