Hi there,

I hope someone in this list can give me a hint on these issues/ questions:

(Note: all for OSX 10.5.x+)

1. Can I add elements to an NSWindow's title bar (without having to rebuild the entire window on my own)? In my case I'd just like to put an image right underneath the window's title.
(kind of like what the OmniGroup did with the OmniFocus beta:
http://cache.lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2008/01/omnifocus-header.png)

2. I'm about to build a custom view component for a project of mine.
It is going to look something like this:

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=customcomponentsin9.jpg

2a) How would I get that connection point between those two panels done with NSViews? Wouldn't I need to overlap the views (works since Leopard, I read)? Or is there a better (= valid) solution for this?

2b) As you can see it will need semi-transparent gradients, some kind of inner glow and last but not least an outer glow and drop shadow. I googled, and googled, and googled… but couldn't find any demonstrative tutorial/instruction/guide on building such a custom view component.

The only guide I found—that might do the trick—was from Scott Stevenson (http://cocoadevcentral.com/d/intro_to_quartz_two/).

So, before I start trying this in Scott's way, I wanted to ask you if there is any better way of programming such (code rendered) custom controls without the use of images (in order to achieve resolution independence)?

Btw, wouldn't it be great to have some kind of programmatic equivalent for Photoshop's shape styles in Cocoa? This way one could design his complex custom elements in Photoshop using "Layer Styles" and then translate it to Cocoa "Shape Styles" almost 1:1. (Or do it all in code, with no translation, right from the beginning.)

Thanks in advance,