On 3/2/09 4:55 PM, Michael Ash wrote:
Everything I've seen in this thread so far skimps on one important detail:
If you're just looking at the raw data, how do you know how to interpret it?

It hasn't been addressed because it's not really relevant to the
question at hand. Yes, you definitely need to either know or be able
to discover the text encoding of the text files you're dealing with.
But aside from both being about text files, that question is unrelated
to the question of how to process a large text file line-by-line.

Exactly, I was looking for direction on the technically best way to read a very large file line by line. In future I will be sure to include a concrete example. (:

It is not uncommon that I might have to deal with server logs that go into the gigabytes. Most logs (apache, squid, etc...) are all ascii encoded. The line ending is irrelevant, see a \n or a \r and we know we have reached the end of a "entry" in the log.

Thanks,
Jacob