Hi everyone,

I'm sure the answer to this is out there, but I having difficulty finding it.

We've got an app that splits off two threads: one to play some background music, and the other to count the beats that have passed so far. We're doing beat counting with a timer (we know the bpm of the music), but we've got a problem:

We split off a thread to have the beat timer (so it doesn't interfere with interface responsiveness), but we can't figure out how to keep the thread alive and open so that the timer can fire. At first, the thread would die right after scheduling the timer on the thread's runloop.

Then we created an NSCondition that doesn't get satisfied until the music has ended, and then had the counting thread -wait on the condition.

Our counting thread is now staying alive, but the timer never fires. Does waiting on the condition lock the thread? If so, how can we keep the thread alive, but still allow the timer to fire on it?

Thanks,

Dave