Use Instruments instead; it will be much easier to find your memory leaks.

corbin

On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:09 PM, John Love wrote:

[this is part I of a two-part plea for help]

I I have read Apple's "ManagingMemory.pdf" and am still having difficulty understanding the use of MallocDebug which is detailed in "MemoryMgmt.pdf". I have 5 methods in the generation of a background thread and I cannot figure out where the memory leak is:

MallocDebug states that there is zero leakage for each of these methods, but there is a leakage = 480 bytes in 24 nodes for thread_start ????

(1)
- (void) startBgCalculation {
/*
      setCalcStatus calls:
itsDictionary = [[NSThread currentThread] threadDictionary]; [itsDictionary setValue:[NSNumber numberWithInt:kCalculating] forKey:staticString#1];
*/
      [self setCalcStatus:kCalculating];

[NSThread detachNewThreadSelector:@selector(bgCalcThread) toTarget:self withObject:nil];
}

(2)
- (void) bgCalcThread {
NSAutoreleasePool *bgCalcThreadPool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

      [self doCalculation];

[self performSelectorOnMainThread:@selector(endBgCalculation/ *:*/) withObject:nil waitUntilDone:YES];

      [bgCalcThreadPool release];