On 23 Feb 2009, at 05:47:22, Adam Leonard wrote:

(If you want another opinion, I don't think what you are doing is a bad idea. John Gruber made a point in a recent article (http://daringfireball.net/2009/02/untitled_document_syndrome ) that most users don't want to mess with the file system at all anymore. For example, you don't have to worry about where iPhoto is putting your photos, and the iPhone has no GUI file system access at all. Also as Gruber notes, the vast majority of people who don't like these features and want complete control of the file system are programmers, i.e., the people on this list.)

This is partly why I like the idea Andreas suggested. Messing with the filesystem is something users - including myself - rarely like doing. The original example in that article was of the save dialog – a chore, something people would avoid using.* Installer packages are less of a chore, as you do not have to make arbitrary decisions. But they are still annoying, as apart from anything else I want to be able to use an application from the moment I've downloaded it. Andreas' idea gets rid of almost all the work on the user's part while keeping the filesystem tidy.

On a side note, Gruber's article shouldn't be taken to mean that all apps should save work to an in-built "library". This would probably be confusing in the case of word processors, for example.

*Many times when I am working on a document I press Command-S out of habit, then seeing the Save dialog appear quickly press Escape._______________________________________________