Hi Michael,

I appreciate your reply, thank you.

The first is the slash (/). Note, NOT a backslash (\), that one is
fine. Slash is the path separator and thus can't exist in a filename.

Whoops, quite right, my mistake.

Except it doesn't, because each filesystem is different. The above is
true for HFS+, it is NOT true for FAT32, which has a whole bunch of
other characters which are illegal.

This is the bad news: there is NO way to tell what those characters are.

It seems totally crazy that there isn't an API for this, Cocoa or not. Oh well, obviously one must code to handle a failure in the rename operation, so this actually simplifies my task. I still have to hardcode the magic conversion of slashes to colons- a shame.

Thanks again,
~Martin