I have a method, written in Objective-C, to parse a string, extracting several fields from it. Originally, I was pulling out a couple of float values and some int fields. Other fields in the string need to be treated as substrings. As I researched how to deal with the substrings, I came to the conclusion that it might be easier to treat all of the fields as substrings. So I re-wrote the method to use NSString variables for each of the fields extracted from the main string by an instance of NSScanner.

Now, when I run my program, I get the following error on the console when execution enters the method in question:

Did you forget to nest alloc and init?

This message is repeated different numbers of time each execution. By commenting out various parts of the code and using the debugger to examine variables I find that one or more of the NSString variables are actually listed as NSPlaceholderString variables and there is a direct correlation between the number of "...Placeholder..." variables and the number of messages that are printed. If I comment out all the NSString variables, the messages go away. Which variables appear to be "...Placeholder..." variables also changes on each execution.

Here is the fragment of code in question. The basic template came from an Apple example of using NSScanner:

- (void) processFixRecord:(NSString *) dataString
{
        NSString *fixTime;
        NSString *fixLat;
        NSString *fixLong;
        NSString *northSouth;
        NSString *eastWest;

NSCharacterSet *skipSet = [NSCharacterSet characterSetWithCharactersInString:@" ,\n"];
        NSScanner *dataRecord = [[NSScanner alloc] initWithString:dataString];
        [dataRecord scanUpToCharactersFromSet:skipSet intoString:&fixTime];

Anyone have any suggestions? I also tried doing "alloc" and "init" on each NSString (despite the Apple NSScanner example) with no change in behavior and setting each variable to "nil", which also produced no change.

Thanks.
Ken Ramey
ramey....@gmail.com