On Feb 26, 2009, at 2:58 PM, James Cicenia wrote:
I have used both retain and without:
- (void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(UIApplication *)application {

        statesArray = [[[NSMutableArray alloc] init]retain];

OK -- you need to step back and think this stuff through. In particular, the above is a double retain and that you tried it with and without indicates that you are taking wild stabs with a hope that something works.

No worries and don't take it as an insult -- we all do this (you should have seen the adventure I had with some header files yesterday! "what if I just stick a semicolon HERE!" no... step back... take a breath... think it through...").

Assuming that the above is executed and statesArray isn't prematurely released (and set to nil or else you'd get a crash), then your bug lies elsewhere.

You say it works in the simulator but not on the device?

I'd suggest stepping through whatever is supposed to fill the array to make sure it is working as expected.

b.bum