I have a UIWebView displaying the contents of a local html file.  When the
user presses a button, I'd like to transition, with a fade, to another
UIWebView (also displaying local content; no need to wait for the network.)
 The UIView transitions will not do a fade, but a CATransition on a CALayer
would do the trick.  Of course, I'd need to apply to the CATransition to a
layer containing both of the webViews, but that's fine; the UIWebViews are
both subviews of another UIView that serves simply to contain both of them.
As I understand, when a subview is added to a view, the layer calls
-[CALayer actionForKey:], which goes through the following search (self
refers to the CALayer on which actionForKey: was called):
  1. [self.delegate actionForLayer:forKey:]
  2. [self.actions valueForKey:]
  3. Recursively search self.style for an actions dictionary, then [actions
valueForKey:]
  4. [self defaultActionForKey:]

If any of these steps returns a non-nil result, that value is used.
Especially relevant in this case is the fact that when an NSNull is
returned, the search stops and nil is returned from [CALayer actionForKey:].

The problem is that, as near as I can tell, UIView's implementation of
actionForLayer:forKey: returns an NSNull.  I would have liked to add a
CATransition to the container view's layer's action dictionary
(view.layer.actions) for the key kCAOnOrderIn.  However, since UIView's
actionForLayer:forKey: returns NSNull, the search always bails out after the
first step.  This seems odd, since it seems that defaultActionForKey: never
actually gets the chance to return a default action unless you're already
changing things.

Am I missing something here, or is a UIView's layer's actions dictionary
only usable if you're subclassing UIView?

-BJ Homer