One of the reasons I use a transformer is so that I can bind the
resulting string to a column in a tableview. How would I go about
doing this if I didn't use a transformer, as you suggest ?

Also, I think I may have got somewhere with this. I was under the
impression that it was the stored managed object that was pushed to
sync services, but it turns out that it's not. It's a dictionary
containing keys and values/objects that represent that managed object.
So if I implement the following method in my delegate

persistentStoreCoordinator:willPushRecord:forManagedObject:inSyncSession:

It gives me access to that dictionary before it's pushed, which means
that I should be able to remove the URL string that's currently being
passed and replace it with an instance of NSURL.

All this is just theory though as I've not yet had time to test it out.

-Mic