On Mar 6, 2009, at 2:05 AM, Quincey Morris wrote:

On Mar 5, 2009, at 21:17, John C. Randolph wrote:

On Mar 5, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:

On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Benjamin Stiglitz wrote:

Although, this bug is not quite confirmed yet, but I suspect I know what the problem is.

I am working on a Carbon -> Cocoa conversion. In the carbon part, the cursor is being set to a 64x64 cursor constantly - via NSCursor set. The problem comes when I move the cursor over a cocoa view which I believe, by default, changing the cursor to what it wants - which I believe is a 32x32 cursor.

So, in the constantly fighting over what the cursor should be, there is some weird cursor behavior...it flickers - moves quickly to a nearby location and then back again.

That's a band-aid, not a solution. Figure out why the carbon code is constantly trying to change the cursor, and fix it.

Or, go back one more step and try to figure out why it flickers.

It flickers because of the switch between using a standard NSCursor and a cursor based on a 64x64 NSImage. I believe this is a known bug or at least behavior that has been seen before by others. In any case, it is fairly easy to reproduce and I do plan to write a simple test app and submit a bug report.