Hi All,

I am working on an application that once started, sets up some temporary files and so. I didn't think of it at first, but I had the case where a friend force quitted the application, and I was left with the app not running, and still my temporary things hanging around. Ultimately, this is ok, as a reboot will clear /tmp, but ideally, I'd like to clear it up as soon as possible.

I know this is maybe overkill, but would it be an option to have some sort of watchdog managed by launchd that would do my cleanup if necessary.

What I thought about is using Launchd to monitor a file (my app.pid file in /var/run) and start my cleaner daemon to check every minute or so that my app is running. If I detect the app is dead but the pid file is still there, I do the cleanup and then remove the pid file.

Is this an acceptable solution ? And can I mix WatchPaths with StartInterval, that is, have the job start with WatchPaths, and then run every 'StartInterval' until I am in the situation where my app died, and the cleaner will do the job and stop the StartInterval (this is also what I'd do if my app quits gracefully, to stop the cleaner from kicking when my app is not running).

Many thanks for your input,
Oli./.