On Mar 10, 2009, at 4:41 PM, James Cicenia wrote:

Interesting... I didn't know that, but then it begs the question.... what do the cool kids do? Should I be taking a different approach here? If so, any pointers or doc chapter would be
great.

All depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Typically you avoid loading anything you don't need and release anything when your done with it. And you may want to switch to imageWithContentsOfFile: until you can prove that the caching behavior of imageNamed: is providing you with a performance improvement.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing