FeedParser, a brand new NSXMLParser-based RSS parser for Cocoa, has been
released as an open source project on GitHub[1]. The goal of this project is
to provide an extensible RSS/Atom parser that works on both the iPhone and
the desktop. To that end, it is based on NSXMLParser instead of
NSXMLDocument. I recognize that PubSub is available for the desktop, but
FeedParser was designed primarily with the iPhone in mind.
In its current incarnation, FeedParser understands all of RSS 2.0 (although
it does not expose all of the possible fields). It has also been verified to
correctly parse sample RSs 0.91 and RSS 0.92 feeds. It has minimal support
for Atom (to the extent that it understands <atom:link> elements embedded in
RSS feeds), but the architecture is such that Atom support can be added over
time. It also has support for RSS extensions such as DublinCore (though
again, at the moment it only understands the <dc:creator> element but more
support can be added easily). Any elements it does not recognize are
recorded as extension elements, similar to the mechanism that PubSub uses,
although FeedParser must use its own stripped-down replacement for
NSXMLElement as it does not exist on the iPhone.

At this point in time, FeedParser is perfectly usable for parsing RSS feeds
in iPhone applications. It has also been tested on Mac OS X 10.5, but not on
earlier versions. I expect it to work on 10.4 as well, but no earlier (it
requires namespace support in NSXMLParser).

FeedParser is covered under the MIT license. Feedback and patches are
welcome. If you wish to provide patches, I encourage you to fork the project
on GitHub and then send pull requests when you have useful changes.

Please note that FeedParser is just a temporary name. FeedParser is also the
name of a well-known Python RSS parsing library. If anybody has any good
ideas for a name that's not taken, I would love to hear them. I would prefer
to end up with something better than cocoa-feedparser.

[1]: http://github.com/kballard/feedparser

-Kevin Ballard

--
Kevin Ballard