I'm all for just a little guidance, and thank you for it. Everything you
said makes sense now, and I have it working:

    NSString *searchStr        = @"\nJOY\n";
    const char *cString         = [searchStr UTF8String];
    const char *fileBytes      = [stringFileContents bytes];
    char *ptr                        = strstr(fileBytes, cString);

Thanks again