You shoul post your code as it is difficult to discern your problem with the way you are describing things.

In other words:

Cannot perform operation without a managed object context

What operation is being performed that could require an moc?

If I set a breakpoint:

In what, on what?

the window (from nib) appears
then gdb comes up

What is strange is that the breakpoint should not be executed

What do you mean by this? Breakpoints aren't executed, the debugger stops at that point (hence the term: break, meaning stop, and point, meaning place). You may then choose to execute the line at the breakpoint, or examine it, or whatever.

The problem
is not being able to debug the portion of code after the window appears.

What are you doing that you can't do this? Is there a delegate missing? Are you certain that "routine" is even being called at all?

If a managed object context were needed at that point, it should have
said something when I run without code. No?

Again, what do you mean, specficially by, "when I run without code?"