On Apr 22, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Benjamin Dobson wrote:

On 22 Apr 2009, at 17:06:10, Chris Williams wrote:

So you'd rather the user sits there wondering if this huge, highly complex application (like any Office or Adobe app) that takes 10-15 seconds to load, even longer on a slow laptop, is actually starting up, or should I click it again, or is my computer dead, or "what the heck is going on here"...?

Splash screens serve a purpose other than advertising. No program I know of actually delays the load to show the splash screen. Rather, they are a
prettier way of saying "loading...".

I have an application that connects to a SQL server. The app itself isn't a slow loader, but the connection to the SQL server (often on another computer or on hard drives that may be asleep) can take 5, 10, or more seconds to establish. The splash screen shows that progress and let's the user know
what things are being done.  Far better than a spinning beach ball.

Yes, but the vast majority of applications do not take that long to load. It may be a prettier way of saying "Loading...", but unless it's got an actual progress bar on it it's just aggravating. I'll also throw in here that I have seen splash screens that have a higher window level than normal. This is just wrong. If you're app takes long enough to load to warrant a splash screen, it takes long enough to load for the user to get impatient and try to do something else.

I hate to bring this up, but I believe that defending your copyright means that it must be visible at launch of your app. It doesn't have to be there long, just long enough to possibly see it.