I've developed a commercial application that outputs MIDI instrumental sounds combined with the playback of AIFF files. I'd like to be able to record the app's output to a digital audio file like AIFF or MP3, etc. I've looked at Apple's docs to figure out how to do it but can't seem to find anything on point. There's a lot of info for recording from external devices like a microphone, but doesn't seem to be anything on recording the sound generated from within the app itself.

I've used "soundflower" with partial success to wrap the audio output back around to the default input, but I don't think this is a viable solution since the app is distributed to users with all types of computer knowledge.

Working with the AUHAL might be a solution, but I'm not sure that what I want is just connecting the output back to the input. It seems the data is already there inside QuickTime and I just need to figure out how to access it and use it directly as the input to my recording code (I've been using the QuickTime movie Sequence Grabber for recording).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might accomplish this?

Thanks!
John