Am 08.05.2009 um 15:56 schrieb jon:

        [defaults setObject:bookMarkList forKey:PECBookMarkListKey];

so again, I must be doing something fundamentally wrong here?

Yes. Your BookMark-instance is not a property list object. So you could store the NSMutableDictionary, but it holds an illegal object. Therefore the defaults will ignore it.

this also does not explain why the NSData line of code would implode, even if my assumption was wrong in that case, something else must also be wrong there.

I can not see a problem at first glace. Maybe you could provide a stack trace? "Implode" is a bit vague :)

        atze