On May 13, 2009, at 4:36 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

I do note that the standard underlining can't be doing this though, because the ends of the underline are always square, whereas this technique will curve the underline according to the shape of the glyph. I'm also not sure if it's going to shadow the underline correctly. This might be acceptable, and even preferable, but I'm shooting for parity with standard text layout if possible.

The standard underlining examines the glyph to determine where it intersects the underline. There isn't any obvious public interface that would make this easy, but you could probably put something together. You can file an enhancement request for suitable API.

Douglas Davidson