On 28/05/2009, at 12:04 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

The only field I have in the toolbar is a search field - looks entirely standard as far as I can see.

#0      0x93d221e6 in -[NSConcreteAttributedString initWithString:]
#1 0x93d220eb in -[NSConcreteAttributedString initWithString:attributes:] #2 0x93d3c673 in -[NSNumberFormatter(NSNumberFormatterCompatibility) attributedStringForZero]

Right, found the problem. It was sort of my fault (did anyone expect anything else?) but then again maybe not. Turns out there was another field in the toolbar with an attached formatter that I'd overlooked, and its fields for zero and nil were not set up. This is the default state for a formatter when you add one in IB. But it seems that these entries MUST be there to avoid this error if the formatter lives inside a toolbar item.

Would be nice if a formatter (or IB) would initialise these fields to something valid.

Should I log this as a framework/IB bug, or did I have it coming to me?

--Graham