so grueling and satisfying at the same time, we may never know. With all the new functionality (APIs) to be provided in 10.6 and for the iPhone 3.0, I wonder if it would be worth having some frank discussion on if now is a good time to split off from this list some more focused discussion lists.

Well, I don't think the 10.6 stuff can be talked about in a public forum until after it ships in September. There is a forum site at developers.apple.com on which NDA-related stuff can be discussed.

I was part of many discussions that revolved not around demanding new features per-se', but more of hashing things out among developers and engineers in order to get something coherent to submit as a Radar or Enhancement/Bug report.

I find writing a good bug report very time consuming. I have to isolate the problem, develop the simplest example possible to allow the engineers to reproduce the problem, then write up instructions on reproducing it, what should be seen, what is actually seen, etc. In short, it is sort of like writing a mini-academic paper. But I have been very pleased with the responses I've gotten from Apple for my efforts, so I usuallly feel it is worth it.

One trouble we already have is cross-posting or posting to the wrong list. Using launchd to launch a Cocoa app for example should probably be taken to the Darwin mailing list, but if someone is already a subscriber to Cocoa, they probably don't know about the Darwin list or don't want to subscribe just to post a single question. So it gets posted to this mailing list. With more focused mailing lists I fear there will just be more emails sent to the wrong mailing lists.

Maintaining "mailing list purity" is always a challenge. At which point, a moderator should probably come along and respond to this email as "off topic" for this mailing list. ;^)

Todd