On Jun 23, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

On Jun 23, 2009, at 1:39 AM, Chris Idou wrote:
I haven't noticed GC pauses. It seems to me that the GC collects memory extremely quickly, relative to when it becomes unreachable. Given that it apparently does a lot of work in another thread, I wouldn't expect there to be much pausing in "normal" applications.

Good. Then it is behaving as designed. And the pauses are shorter and fewer in Snow Leopard. Expect the trend to continue.

One of the concerns I see with GC is "I can't use it because my app is realtime or near-realtime". In this case, GC or not is moot and the real issue is that you can't use Objective-C for realtime uses.

First hand feedback: as an experiment we migrated our realtime-audio apps from retain/release to GC a couple weeks ago while at WWDC. The performance we see in the resulting garbage-collected apps is *very* good, and completely different than what we saw when we tried GC back with 10.5.0 (no comment).

After spending another few days checking things under load with Shark and Instruments we came to the conclusion that GC is performing too well not to use it, and we are switching to it for good. Once we remove the crust of retain/release techniques from our code we expect to see a net performance/stability gain....... and you should not underestimate how psychologically exhilarating is to delete that complex and now useless retain-cycles graph handler you spent 2 months of your life to write and debug years ago :)

Andrea