On Jul 1, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Marco S Hyman wrote:

On Jul 1, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

Well, I generally avoid bindings, since I can't comment nib/xib files, and it takes too long to reverse engineer my own (or worse, someone else's) bindings when I'm doing maintenance work. With that perspective, the minor glue code to swap views is no big deal :).

Warning: subject creep.

That leads directly to something I've been thinking about as one new to cocoa: how do you document your bindings? Any preferred formats other than a text
file stuck somewhere in a project?

You can document bindings, as well as target-action and outlet connections, by writing unit tests to specify them. You can even do test-driven development of your xib files this way.

This can be as simple as writing tests that say “the value of the table’s name column is bound to the Employees array controller’s ‘arrangedObjects.name’ property” and the creating the appropriate bindings to make this test pass.

All of the information you need to test bindings can be easily found using the -infoForBinding: method on any view or controller that supports bindings. I’ve written some weblog posts on the topic:

Unit testing Cocoa user interfaces: Target-Action <http://eschatologist.net/blog/?p=10 > Unit testing Cocoa user interfaces: Cocoa Bindings <http://eschatologist.net/blog/?p=12 >

These show how you might actually write some code to specify a binding, or a target-action connection, in your application or framework’s unit tests.

  — Chris