On 7/2/09 11:52 AM, Quincey Morris said:

>On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:34, Sean McBride wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find somewhere to undo what was done in my NSDocument
>> subclass' initializer.  Specifically, to start/stop KVO
>> observation.  It
>> seemed like 'close' would be a good place.
>
>'close' isn't a good place, because it isn't necessarily called. If
>you look at the Leopard Developer Release Notes:
>
>       http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Cocoa/AppKit.html
>
>in the section entitled "Advice for Overriders of Methods that Follow
>the delegate:didSomethingSelector:contextInfo: Pattern", you'll find a
>nice little code snippet that happens to show you where to place code
>that should execute just before a document closes:
>
>>      if (shouldClose) {
>>              // Here we can do all sorts of things with this document that's
>> about to be closed.
>>      }
>
>Does that help?

Yes, thanks!  However, just as 'close' is not always called, neither is
canCloseDocumentWithDelegate:shouldCloseSelector:contextInfo.  It's not
called if the document is explicitly closed (i.e. if someone sends the
document the 'close' message).

Again, my goal is to find a place to stop KVO started in my
initializer.  Were I not a GC app, I guess I could use dealloc.  I can't
use finalize, as removeObserver: is not documented to be thread safe.

I guess I'll do this:

- (void)close
{
 if (!_didDoSpecialCloseStuffExactlyOnce)
 {
          [controller removeObserver:....];
   _didDoSpecialCloseStuffExactlyOnce = YES;
        }

        [super close];
}

The bool should protect me from super calling into 'close' again (see
subject).

Thanks,