On 03/08/2009, at 10:47 PM, Alexander Bokovikov wrote:

Can't agree. If we setup a control, as capable to have keyboard focus, then, activating this control, we activate all hierarchy of its parents, and we definitely can apply the "lowest level" parent's popup menu (if any) with its shortcuts. Of course, we can't do it, if we have no focusable controls, so we can work by mouse only in this case. But in this case we even can't speak about keyboard shortcuts. In any other cases we can.

There's much more to life than controls. Many views have elements that are spatially distributed and would not be considered controls but actual content. It is often useful to apply contextual menus to those elements, but almost impossible to meaningfully navigate them using just the keyboard. For example, in the Finder an icon view where the icons are not regularly ordered and spaced - keyboard navigation is hard. In fact the Finder makes a reasonable stab at this for selecting but you still can't activate the selected object(s) contextual menus without the mouse.

But back to your question - feel free to implement it if you feel it does make sense in your app. But I bet you'll find that the cost/ benefit of doing so is simply not worth it - users will be very unlikely to discover the feature (as it's not widespread in other apps) and understand how to manage the focus in an obvious way to make good use of it. The presence of a shortcut in a menu is so that the user, having clicked it so many times, notices that there's a quicker way to do whatever it is. The expectation then is that the shortcut will simply perform the action. If the user has to tab through umpteen views and somehow manipulate the selection just to get access to the shortcut, it's not really much of a shortcut, is it?

--Graham