I have an NSOperation app (simulation) executing one timestep at a time.
The threads are working fairly well but the running output is supposed to be
drawn as a color-coded map every 10 timesteps.

It seems that a window update is a low priority task because my threads are
running and continually sending new data back to the main thread but the
window is not updating (being redrawn) at the proper times (if at all).
viewsNeedDisplay(), etc. does not suffice.

Could someone tell me the proper way to

1) force an immediate (synchronous) window redraw, or
2) set the redraw priority high enough so that it takes precedence over my
threads, or
3) some other better solution?

Thanks.

--