On Sep 22, 2009, at 9:53 PM, Marco S Hyman wrote:

no need to state the obvious. if Clock can do what it does, then it's possible to do it... I'm interested to know how I can do the same thing

You are limited to using public APIs.  You have to agree to that
to get the iphone SDK.   Apple doesn't have to follow those rules
and can poke as deep into the iphone OS at it likes.  Now you
could reverse engineer what they do and write an app using your
newfound knowledge.  But it won't be much help as Apple will refuse
to approve the application.

If it something you want to write for yourself, go for it. Just
don't expect to ever find your program in the app store, regardless
of how great it might be.

This is NOT a technical issue (and therefor another reason why it
has nothing to do with cocoa-dev).  It is policy issue.  If you don't
like Apple's policy argue with apple, not the folks on cocoa-dev.

ok. thanks for making that clear for me, and for taking the time to write a constructive response. I guess I'm done then :(