From: Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com>
To: Chris Idou <idou...@yahoo.com>
Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 5:37:01 PM
Subject: Re: building and running on Snow Leopard

On Sep 23, 2009, at 2:20 AM, Chris Idou wrote:

> If you build an application on Snow Leopard, but against the 10.5 deployment
> target, and then you run the program on Snow Leopard, do you get all the
> Leopard 10.5 bugs as if you ran it on Leopard, or do you get to benefit from
> Snow Leopard bug fixes only if you build against the 10.6 deplotment target?

Not quite either.

At runtime, your app can only use the frameworks provided on the host system.
Just because you linked against the 10.5 SDK doesn't change the fact that Snow
Leopard only provides Snow Leopard's frameworks.

In general, your app will get the benefit of bug fixes in the Snow Leopard
frameworks when running on Snow Leopard.  However, there are some bug fixes
which Apple has determined would break backward compatibility with apps built
and tested on Leopard or earlier.  For those fixes, they test which SDK the app
was built against.  For those built against the pre-Snow Leopard SDK, they
continue to provide the old, compatible-bug-buggy behavior.  This is documented
in the release notes for the affected frameworks.

Note that this tests for the SDK that the app was built against.  You mentioned
deployment target.  That's not the same thing.  If you build against the 10.6
SDK but with a 10.5 deployment target, it is expected that you will be testing
on both 10.6 and 10.5.  It is then your code's responsibility to handle both
the old framework behavior the new behavior.  The Snow Leopard frameworks _do
not_ go out of their way to maintain the old behavior in this case.

Regards,
Ken