On 23 Sep, 2009, at 06:21, Kyle Sluder wrote:

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Colin Howarth <co...@howarth.de> wrote:
Well *of course* I am now running with garbage collection...

Typo, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting the sarcasm?

I did put a smiley there. I don't think I was being sarcastic. More sort of self-deprecating?

As it happens I wasn't using GC. I'd been, you know, *hoping* it was using GC by itself :-) But I quickly read up on it, found out it was "opt-in", and enabled it, before recompiling, seeing that it now works, and replying.

I suppose I should read up on declared properties and garbage collection to
try and understand what was kabooming...

If you in fact are not using garbage collection, you want to read the
Memory Management Programming Guide and commit it to, erm, memory:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/MemoryMgmt.html

I clearly have several thousand pages of documentation to go through... (not just MemoryMgmt)

--colin