On Oct 14, 2009, at 7:24 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

It looks as though your object (the delegate) got dealloced too early, before the NSURLConnection finished loading. This shouldn't be possible, since the connection object retains the delegate, but you may have too many release calls to it someplace.

What I would do next is set a breakpoint in your class's dealloc method, and also in its -connectionDidFinishLoading: and - connection:didFailWithError:, and see which gets called first.

Thanks for the reply, Jens. As I suspected, the time sequence ordering of the releases was just fine. The problem was releasing the NSURLConnection object twice, once when the connection had concluded, and again when the object that had created it was dealloc'ing (because I hadn't nil'd the pointer to the connection object after releasing it). Just a "lucky" coincidence that the memory where the dealloc'd NSURLConnection had lived was still the (now defunct) object, so it went through its motions again, and tried to release the delegate a second time.