Surprisingly, I could find no reference to this issue.

In the archives, there seems to be, lately, the consensus ( I hope) that direct ivar access is preferred in 2 methods ie init and dealloc.

This would seem to imply that initWithCoder/encodeWithCoder should also use direct ivar access, but I have seen **both** used in reputable sources.

So, from Apple's docs on archiving this:

- (void)encodeWithCoder:(NSCoder *)coder {
    [super encodeWithCoder:coder];
    [coder encodeObject:mapName forKey:@"MVMapName"];
    [coder encodeFloat:magnification forKey:@"MVMagnification"];
    [coder encodeObject:legendView forKey:@"MVLegend"];
    [coder encodeConditionalObject:auxiliaryView forKey:@"MVAuxView"];
}

and from the binding examples on mmalc's page, this: ( I understand that the method is deprecated)

- (NSData *)dataRepresentationOfType:(NSString *)aType
{
           // create an archive of the collection and its attributes
    NSKeyedArchiver *archiver;
    NSMutableData *data = [NSMutableData data];

archiver = [[NSKeyedArchiver alloc] initForWritingWithMutableData:data];
    [archiver encodeObject:self.name forKey:@"name"];
[archiver encodeObject:self.collectionDescription forKey:@"collectionDescription"];
    [archiver encodeObject:self.collection forKey:@"collection"];

    [archiver finishEncoding];

    return data;
}

Is this just 6 of one and half dozen of the other?

Thanks.

This email sent to m...@comcast.net