You should pick one place or the other to do your nib loading. If you choose to do it yourself, then don't hook up IB to automatically load the view controller's nib. Then you can safely call [super loadview] followed by your own code which includes loading the view from the nib. Alternatively, continue to have hook-ups to automatically load from the nib, and then in your own loadview, only do custom stuff that doesn't touch the nib.

Luke