Hello.

I'm making a custom NSView derived class and I need the view to have a fixed
width/height ratio at all times, specifically I would like the view to stay
square. I am trying to override the setFrame: method like this:

- (void)setFrame:(NSRect)frameRect {
        // Keeps the frame rectangle square.

        CGFloat size = frameRect.size.width > frameRect.size.height
                ? frameRect.size.height : frameRect.size.width;

        NSRect newFrameRect = NSMakeRect(frameRect.origin.x,
frameRect.origin.y, size, size);

        [super setFrame:newFrameRect];
}

And then in the drawRect: method I just fill the view with the current color
and draw an image on it.

- (void)drawRect:(NSRect)dirtyRect {
        NSRectFill([self bounds]);

        NSImage *image = [NSImage imageNamed:@"foo.pdf"];
        [image drawInRect:NSMakeRect(0.0, 6.0, 1.0, 1.0)
                 fromRect:NSZeroRect
                operation:NSCompositeSourceOver
                 fraction:1.0];
}

This however seems not to work. The view keeps the fixed dimension ratio, but
resizing the window does not work properly. When I make the window smaller, the
custom view gets smaller, but when I resize the window to get bigger, the
custom view does not get bigger properly. I have enabled Autoresizing in the
Interface Builder for the custom view.

What would be the proper way of handling this? How do I make the custom view to
stay square?

Thanks.

Regards,
Henri Häkkinen