On 18 Nov 2009, at 19:04, Sandro Noël wrote:

> This is what i think from observing the applications apple released witch
> have controls that are not in the tools palette.
>
>> * Must work with localized content
>       That's already implemented in the controls used by apple in their
> application.
Not necessarily. A surprising amount of Apple's custom controls use dozens of
localized images instead of drawing text itself.

>> * Must work with accessibility
>       also already implemented in the controls used by apple in their
> application (for the most part).
Great, it works for the original intended use – does it work re-usably for
other people's apps?

>> * For particular controls, probably need to have multiple sizes (large,
>> small, mini)
>       already implemented visibly in the controls used by apple in their
> application.
Again, often just different images at present; not true rendering at different
sizes

>> * Probably will need to expose custom bindings
>       Apparently iLife and most of the released applications with snow
> leopard are coded in cocoa,
>       the finer for example is now a cocoa application,
The Finder being Cocoa has nothing to do with it. Apple's engineers probably
don't bother going to the trouble of exposing full bindings support for all
their custom controls unless they really need to. In their applications, it's
probably a mixture of target/action and hacking into place the odd binding
that's needed.

>> * Should work in resolution independence.
>       That i'm not sure of, but considering that Binary God ( BGHUDAppKit)
> was able to do it properly i imagine the brains at apple can do as much,

>> * Probably some other things I'm missing.
IB plugin

> Maybe i'm just talking out of my hat here, because i'm not in the secrets of
> the gods,
> but looking at what is in the applications already...

OK, so you want one of these controls yourself? Well, let's imagine you're
going to sit down and write one for your app. Are you honestly telling me that
you expect to end up with highly reusable code that could be placed in a
framework like Cocoa, and you'd be happy to ship to a large number of other
developers? Or (and far more likely) that you'll have implemented only the bits
of functionality your own app needs and left plenty of holes to fill?