On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Colin Deasy wrote:

> This shared thread is actually handling potentially large numbers of
> concurrent url connections/downloads. The reason that I want a block in some
> of those at different times is a for a form of bandwidth control I am trying
> to do.

I don't think that will do what you want. The actual socket I/O happens in a
background thread owned by CFNetwork; I don't think that thread will stop
reading data just because your callback on the main thread hasn't returned yet.
It just means that, when you do return, you'll immediately get a bigger chunk
of data.

I've seen this general question of rate limiting asked on the macnetworkprog
list. IIRC the answer is that Foundation and CFNetwork don't really give you
the tools to do it. You'd have to write your own code using low-level BSD
sockets APIs. :-P