I thought the solution to big files was to use pasteboard promises... not to
setup a pasteboard which is  conflicted about what item it is trying to store.
At least that's what I find documented by Apple.

________________________________
From: Alexander Spohr <a...@freeport.de>
To: Chris Idou <idou...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>; cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Sent: Fri, 20 November, 2009 7:00:18 PM
Subject: Re: tiffs on pasteboard

Am 20.11.2009 um 03:04 schrieb Chris Idou:

> But what are the rules and conventions? Why would Finder put the icon in the
> pasteboard on the assumption that is what the user wants, but TextEdit would
> paste in the actual file on the assumption that is what the user wants? It
> seems schizophrenic.

Yeah. Copying a 20MB image to the pasteboard would be what the user wants. Or
better one Gig of video. I think not.
You think like a user (who would assume that the file is really on the
pasteboard) and not like a developer (who should know that the pasteboard
content has to be lightweight).

> I just want a list of rules of how to use the Pasteboard in a way that
> conforms to what users expect. If I start ignoring the TIFF part of the
> pasteboard in favor of the URL on the assumption that is what the user wants,
> why is the tiff there anyway?

The TIFF is a preview. The URL is the meat.

> And will that get me into trouble in other cases?

That depends only on the pasteboard provider. There is no strict rule. The
provider does not know the recipient and therefore puts everything on the
pasteboard that will satisfy the task the provider offers.

    atze