I have changed the code I added:

        CGSize newSize  = rotatingView.bounds.size;
        newSize.width += (abs(myShadowOffset.width) + spread);
        newSize.height += (abs(myShadowOffset.height) + spread);

        CGRect newSelf = CGRectMake(self.frame.origin.x, self.frame.origin.y,
                                                                newSize.width,
newSize.height);

        self.frame = newSelf;

        UIGraphicsBeginImageContext(newSize);

however what I am getting now is a larger image, offset in the view and still
cutting off the shadow. So I honestly do not know how I am suppose to draw this
shadow. I would really be grateful for some additional direction.