Apologies for the newbishness of this question, but I've been away from IB for quite some time (and never went very deep with it in the first place).

Let's say I want to have two NSButtons (called 1 and 2) that will cause an NSTabView to switch to tab 1 and 2, respectively. I don't want to use the default segmented controller because I'm looking for wide buttons arranged vertically.

Simple, right? Just hook the button to selectTabViewItemAtIndex. Hmmm....but selectTabViewItemAtIndex is not an action method so that won't work. Naturally, that makes sense because there's no way for a simple NSButton to know it has to pass something for the index.

So some other solutions of which I can think:

1) Subclass the NSButton and have it call selectTabViewItemAtIndex when pressed

2) Subclass the NSButton and have it respond to indexOfSelectedItem as if it were a segmented controller. Then hook the button to takeSelectedTabViewItemFromSender. While this will work, it seems awfully hackish. Having a single button respond to a method clearly intended for a group of items seems wrong.

Anything else? What am I missing? It seems like it should be simple in IB alone to say "when this button is pressed, show this tab" but if there's a way, it's escaping me.

Thanks for any input.