On 24/12/2009, at 8:26 AM, Gregory Weston wrote:

> With this expanded explanation, I think the correct answer is that you're
> going about it the wrong way. It's not a normal Mac HI behavior for a drawing
> canvas to draw itself differently as a side-effect of its window being
> inactive.

Well, it depends.

Drawing canvases may or may not support the idea of a selection, and so
highlight selected objects in a certain way. That highlight might want to be
sensitive to the active state of the window so that it can be drawn using the
inactive control colour when inactive rather than a bright highlight, or turned
off altogether. Bright highlighting in inactive windows is distracting and
misleading.

In DrawKit I do this, and the only way was to subscribe to the window's
notifications for becoming/resigning main and refreshing the view.

--Graham