On 18/02/2010, at 11:46 PM, Peter Hudson wrote:

> I started out this way to avoid exactly the problem you get from requiring
> users to move critical files around.  Most of our users are not comfortable
> with computers, let alone moving files around !   Add in the problem of
> making sure they read the right pages of the manual ( if they can find it )
> and then do this through language barriers ... ( we run in many languages )

I'm not suggesting they do move the files around. Your app can move them around
to do what it needs to do, and the user is none the wiser. They need not care
if a resource they are using comes from the bundle or from app support, it Just
Works, right?

Since you haven't really defined what these files are or how they're used, I
can only give general and vague suggestions. My app does something apparently
similar - we supply a default set of content in the form of graphics and these
come in the bundle. On first startup we copy the file to app support so that
the user can customise and add to the available graphics. Currently this is
just one file, so "the latest" is always the one in app support, but actually
this is a drawback on a number of levels so I'm working on splitting this out
into one file per graphic, and the app will combine the bundle (read only)
files with the app support (read/write) files to present a unified set to the
user. They don't care where they come from, they just use them.

If the same app is copied/installed elsewhere, all the new installation gets is
the original bundle set, not any new ones the other user made. That's
completely normal and I would say expected behaviour.

The simple fact is that you cannot reliably update your app as it runs by
writing files to its bundle. So however you need it to work, this option is not
available.

--Graham