Oh and one other point after reading that whole thread (on an iPhone that's surprisingly hard!), the application does infinite loop but it doesn't recurse, so I do not believe the suggestion in the middle of that thread that respondsToSelector: checks self and then the delegate (which is itself in this case) and thus recurses, is correct. The stack depth stays the same and the respondsToSelector calls alternate.

Nor do I think that's the delegate pattern either, if it were I'd just have to implement the delegate method in my subclass but not make it it's own delegate and it would work, but it doesn't. Wish it did tho, that would be a useful pattern sometimes and I'd be able to still chain the real delegate later if I wanted.